Temporary, relocated or defunct
tower bell instruments of Asia and the Pacific Rim

Some carillons and chimes in Asia and the Pacific Rim region were installed temporarily in expositions or fairs of various kinds.  Some of these were later reinstalled elsewhere.  Other instruments were relocated from their original places of installation for various reasons.  And some have been destroyed or stolen, and were not replaced.  There are no site data pages for such defunct instruments, so they cannot be indexed in the same manner as extant instruments.  Hence this page.

The lists below present, in appropriate orders, the original locations of such instruments, without distinction between traditional and non-traditional mechanisms. 

EXPOSITIONS:

Instruments known to have been part of various exhibitions or expositions in this region before relocation are listed in approximately chronological order, with links to their current locations:

International Exhibition (1879), Sydney, Australia
In 1878, Mears & Stainbank (now Whitechapel) made a fully chromatic 20-bell chime of hemispheric bells, which was displayed here.  After the exhibition ended, it was installed in Newtown, New South Wales, where it remains.

(Expositions outside this region are not listed here, but may be mentioned on the relevant site data pages for the current location of such instruments.)

DEFUNCT:

Carillons which were installed in this region but no longer exist are listed in order by city name:

World's Fair (1970), Osaka, Japan
In 1969, Eijsbouts made a lightweight 28-bell automatic carillon which was displayed at this Fair.  Afterwards it was sold, but the destination is unknown.

Chime-sized instruments which were installed in this region but no longer exist are listed in order by city name:

Church, Port Arthur, Tasmania, Australia
Some time in the 1800s, while this was still a convict community, a ring of 8 bells was locally cast for the church.  By the 1990s, the bells were long gone (though some may survive elsewhere), and the church was derelict.

Nagasaki Holland Village, Seihi-cho, Nagasaki prefecture, Honshu Island, Japan
In 1985, two years after this tourist entertainment center opened, Eijsbouts provided 18 small bells as part of an astronomical clockwork (indoors).  The original report implied the use of tower bells, basis C3; but later reports have suggested that handbells were supplied instead.  The clockwork has since been disassembled and the center closed (in 2001); the disposition of the bells is unknown.
NOTE:   Other Eijsbouts bells reported as being installed at Nagasaki Holland Village (in 1991 or later) are actually at Huis ten Bosch, a much larger entertainment facility at Sasebo-cho, Nagasaki prefecture.

NOTE: Sites for which no database identification is listed are the only ones in their respective cities in the database.  Thus their identification follows the standard model.


Return to Indexes to tower bell sites in Asia and the Pacific Rim.


[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]

This page was created 2006/11/15 and last revised 2011/12/26.

Please send comments or questions to csz_stl@swbell.net