Tolbooth (or) Cross Steeple High Street/Saltmarket at Gallowgate/Trongate Glasgow, Strathclyde (Lanark), Scotland OS Ref. NS 596 648 LL: N 55.85683, W 4.24364
First set of bells (number unknown) cast in Holland in 1663, intended for installation in a new steeple in Briggait, but eventually installed here. Replaced by 19 bells from London, which were found to be out of tune, and mostly replaced by 14 small bells cast and tuned in Edinburgh. Present bells by John C. Wilson (local Scots).
Traditional chime (baton keyboard) of 16 bells Pitch of heaviest bell is G# in the middle octave Transposition is unknown Keyboard range: ---- / ---- The arrangement of tones and semitones is unknown. The whole instrument was installed in 1881 by the maker cited in Remarks above Prior history: In 1739, some bells were recast or replaced with bells made by the maker cited in Remarks above (0 bells remain from that work.) In 1738, a complete instrument was installed with bells made by the maker cited in Remarks above (0 bells remain from that work.) In 1665, a complete instrument was installed with bells made by the maker cited in Remarks above (0 bells remain from that work.) No auxiliary mechanisms known Tower details not available Year of latest technical information source is 1979
This page was built from the database on 4-Dec-12 based on textual data last updated on 2008/10/02 and on technical data last updated on 2008/10/02
Explanations of page format and keyboard range are available.
[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]
Please send comments or questions to email@example.com