Temporary, relocated or defunct Central and South American tower bell instruments

Some carillons in Central and South America were installed temporarily in expositions or fairs of various kinds.  Many of these were later reinstalled elsewhere.  Other carillons were relocated from their original place of installation for various reasons.  And some have been destroyed or stolen.  There are no data pages for such sites, so they cannot be indexed in the same manner as extant instruments.  Hence this page.

The lists below present, in appropriate orders, the original locations of such instruments, without distinction between traditional and non-traditional mechanisms.  The final section presents similar information about chime-sized installations.

EXPOSITIONS:

Carillons known to have come to Central and South America after being in expositions elsewhere are listed in approximately chronological order, with links to their current locations when known:

[Year]
[Name of exposition]
[Description]

RELOCATIONS:

Carillons which have been moved from their original city of installation to another place are listed in order by city name, with links to their current locations when known:

[City, Country]
[Description]

DEFUNCT:

Carillons which no longer exist are listed in order by city name:

[Site, City, Country]
[Description]

CHIMES:

Chime-sized instruments which no longer exist are listed in order by city name:

Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Georgetown, Guyana
This twin-towered wooden building was constructed in 1862 for the Portuguese community.  In 1905, Meneely/Watervliet supplied 10 bells, equipped with a chimestand.  The building and chime were totally destroyed by fire on Dec.26, 2004.  A blogger's article about the city includes photos of the building before and after the fire.

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Port of Spain, Trinidad
This twin-towered stone building formerly held 12 bells.  Details are unknown, but presumably they were a variegated collection forming a peal typical of ancient Catholic churches in this region.  for the Portuguese community.  In 1825, a major earthquake severely damaged the building, and must have destroyed some of the bells.  The tops of the towers were rebuilt in wood, and the stonework of the north tower now contains only four bells, hung in typical Spanish style.  This site is identified in the database as
        PORT OF SPAIN - IC : TRINIDAD 

NOTE: Sites for which no database identification is listed are the only ones in their respective cities in the database. Thus their identification follows the standard model.


Return to Indexes to tower bell sites in Central and South America.


[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]

This page was created 2001/07/01 and last revised 2013/12/31.

Please send comments or questions to csz_stl@swbell.net