St.Peter in Chains Cathedral (RC) Plum Street at West 8th Street Cincinnati, Ohio, USA LL: N 39.10358, W 84.51891
St.Peter in Chains Music Office 325 West 8th Street Cincinnati, OH 45202-1977 T: (513)421-2222 F: (513)421-9517 E: firstname.lastname@example.org - or - Anthony DiCello, Music Director E: email@example.com
The chime now at St.Teresa of Avila (see CINCINNATI - STT) was originally here; it was cast by George L. Hanks of this city in 1851 and dedicated on Jan.11, 1852. A tower clock by Francis Stein (or Steine) was connected to those bells by July 4, 1852, and played tunes automatically at 3-hour intervals. The clock was replaced in the 1930s by Verdin; the chime was sold and moved in 1955. The hour bell cast by Hanks in the same year (1851) remains, and was rededicated with the new chime on Feb.24, 1957. Keyboard and autoplay action replaced during general overhaul in 2010.
Electric-keyboard chime of 12 bells Pitch of heaviest bell is F in the middle octave Transposition is up 5 semitone(s) Keyboard range: C E / NONE There are two added semitones The whole instrument was installed in 1955 with bells made by Petit & Fritsen Year of latest technical information source is 2012
Where this work lies in the sequence of output of the Petit & Fritsen bellfoundry, in this region and in the world.
Ranking among all North American chimes by size (number of bells).
Ranking among all North American chimes by weight (pitch).
Ranking among all North American chimes by year of completion.
Why the first chime at this site was a milestone in North American chime history (1851).
Index to all tower bell instruments in OH, including the previous chime from this building.
This page was built from the database on 30-Jan-12 based on textual data last updated on 2012/01/20 and on technical data last updated on 2012/01/20
Explanations of page format and keyboard range are available.
[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]
Please send comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org