LANCASTER - T : USA - PA

*Location:

   The Evangelical Lutheran Church of 
     The Holy Trinity (ELCA) 
   East Mifflin & South Duke Streets
   Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA
   LL: N 40.03751, W 76.30303
Site locator map  or  [ MapQuest map ]  or  Bing Maps
Also see our own Map Use Hints.

*Player:

   (unknown)

*Contact:

   Trinity Lutheran Church 
   31 South Duke Street 
   Lancaster, PA  17602-3593 
   T: (717)397-2734   F: (717)397-2159 
   E: church@trinitylancaster.org

*Schedule:

   (unknown)

*Remarks:

   Original octave removed after one bell 
   cracked.  Present octave cast by 
   Naylor, Vickers & Co., Sheffield,
   England, in 1860 and installed in 1861; 
   they are made of E. Riepe's patent cast 
   steel, and bear conventional bead 
   lines and inscriptions
   (including serial numbers).
   The flat 7th, added to the chime some 
   years later, was cast for this church
   by Lester & Pack in 1768.  Chimestand
   keys are shaped like flat paddles, 
   and all are identical, so it probably 
   was made locally when flat 7th was 
   added; original action may have been a 
   taut-rope rack. 
   Tenor formerly swung.

*Technical data:

   Traditional chime (chimestand) of  9 bells
   Pitch of heaviest bell is E  in the middle octave
   Transposition is nil (concert pitch)
   Keyboard range:     E E   /    NONE  
   There is one added semitone
   The instrument was enlarged in 18**
     with  1 bell made by Whitechapel in 1768
   Prior history:
     In 1860, the instrument was begun with  8 bells
       by the maker cited in Remarks above
       (8 bells remain from that work.)
     In 1853, a complete instrument was installed
       with 8 bells made by Jones       
       (0 bells remain from that work.)
   Year of latest technical information source is 2002
Additional information on the technical history of this instrument can be found in a database printout.

*Links:

The church Website has a photo of the tower on the home page.  The chime belfry is the topmost brick stage, and the chimestand is located on the next floor below (at the level of the attic).  The Website says nothing about the bells, but does have a history of the building, which was constructed in 1764.  The steeple was added in 1794.

Building photos from Emporis Buildings
(Also see our Emporis Advice.)

Where this initial phase of this work lies in the sequence of output of the Jones bellfoundry.
Where the final phase of this work lies in the sequence of output of miscellaneous bellfoundries, in this region and in the world.
This being the only known chime by Naylor, Vickers & Co., there is no foundry index page.
Since the Whitechapel bell was not made for (or after) this chime, it does not appear in that foundry index.

Ranking among all North American chimes by size (number of bells).
Ranking among all North American chimes by weight (pitch).
Ranking among all North American chimes by year of completion.

Why this chime was a milestone in North American chime history (1860).

Index to all tower bell instruments in PA.

*Status:

   This page was built from the database on 28-Sep-10
   based on textual data last updated on 2010/09/24
   and on technical data last updated on 2002/07/18


Explanations of page format and keyboard range are available.

[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]

Please send comments or questions to csz_stl@swbell.net