CHARLESTON - STMI : USA - SC

*Location:

   St.Michael's Episcopal Church
   Broad and Meeting Streets
   Charleston, South Carolina, USA
   LL: N 32.77632, W 79.93071
Site locator map  or  [ MapQuest map ]  or  Bing Maps
Also see our own Map Use Hints.

*Ringers' contact(s):

   C.J.Cantwell, Tower Captain
   4 St.Michael's Alley
   Charleston, SC  29401-2532
   H: (843)577-2333   W: (843)723-1706
   E: cantwellcj@aol.com

      Verify the current ringers' contact(s) at the NAGCR Website.

*Contact:

   St.Michael's Church
   14 St.Michael's Alley
   Charleston, SC  29401-2596
   T: (843)723-0603   F: (843)723-7578
   E: office@stmichaelschurch.net

*Schedule:

   Practice Thursdays 1731-1931;
   service Sun 0950-1020 (except no
   Sunday ringing in Lent).

*Remarks:

   Cast in 1764 by Lester & Pack
   (Whitechapel).  Taken by the British in
   1782, returned in 1783 after Mears &
   Chapman (Whitechapel) recast 2 which
   had been cracked in transit; 2 recast
   in 1828 (or 1830) by Eubank and Cordes
   after breaking; all recast in 1866
   after war damage; tenor recast in 1879
   or 80 after cracking in use as a fire
   alarm.  Unringable for over a century
   except by chiming apparatus (the first
   chimestand in North America, made
   locally in 1805); original clock by
   Ainsworth Thwaites of London restored
   and bells retuned, rehung and restored
   for ringing 1992-3; rededicated & first
   peal rung on 4 July 1993.
   Clock strikes quarters with pattern
   Do-La-Ti-Sol, repeated incrementally at
   each quarter (double ting-tang);
   supposedly this was modelled on the
   long-vanished second clock chime of
   the Royal Exchange, London, England.

*Technical data:

   Ring of  8 bells
   Pitch of heaviest bell is D# in the middle octave
   Transposition is not applicable
   Keyboard range:     ROPE  /    NONE  
   There are no added semitones
   The bells were re-tuned in 1993
     by Whitechapel 
   Prior history:
     In 1866, all bells were recast or replaced
       with bells made by Whitechapel 
       (8 bells were added in and/or remain from that work.)
     In 1764, a complete instrument was installed
       with bells made by Whitechapel 
       (0 bells remain from that work.)
   Year of latest technical information source is 1993
Additional information on the technical history of this instrument can be found in a database printout.

*Links:

The church Website has extensive information (with photographs) about the tower, the bells and the ringers.

Building photos from Emporis Buildings
(Also see our Emporis Advice.)

Where the initial phase of this work lies in the sequence of output of the Whitechapel bellfoundry, in this region and in the world.
Where the second phase of this work lies in the sequence of output of the Whitechapel bellfoundry, in this region and in the world.
Where the final phase of this work lies in the sequence of output of the Whitechapel bellfoundry, in this region and in the world.

Ranking among all North American rings by pitch/weight.
Ranking among all North American rings by size (number of bells).
Ranking among all North American rings by year of completion.

Ranking among all North American chimes by size (number of bells).

Why this ring was a milestone in North American chime history (1837).

Index to all tower bell instruments in SC.

*Status:

   This page was built from the database on  4-Jan-10
   based on textual data last updated on 2010/01/02
   and on technical data last updated on 1994/01/11


Explanations of page format and keyboard range are available.

[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]

Please send comments or questions to csz_stl@swbell.net