Laurance Hearne Armour Memorial Carillon
Chapel Northwestern University Sheridan Road at Haven Street Evanston, Illinois, USA LL: N 42.05708, W 87.67785*Formerly:
Chapel of St.John the Divine Seabury-Western Theological Seminary (Episcopal)*Original Location of chime (1901-36):
Grace P.E. Church Wabash Avenue, btwn 14th & 15th Sts. Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chaplain Timothy Stevens Office of Religious Life Northwestern University 1870 Sheridan Road Evanston, IL 60208 T: (847)491-7256 F: (847)491-7353 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Not played during construction work)
Grace Church burned in 1915, but tower survived; chime transferred to seminary after church relocated later; mostly recast into carillon. G bell of chime remains in tower, independent of carillon, and swings. Bells connected to first 3 octaves of a 4-octave keyboard. Carillon restored in 1999 by Verdin. 2009: Property sold to Northwestern U; seminary moved elsewhere. 2013: Chapel and adjacent buildings undergoing major remodeling; chapel was not deconsecrated, and will be integrated into NWU chapel program.
Traditional carillon of 35 bells Pitch of heaviest bell is A in the middle octave Transposition is up 9 semitone(s) Keyboard range: C C */ C G The arrangement of tones and semitones is unknown. There is a practice console The whole instrument was installed in 1954 with bells made by Petit & Fritsen Prior history: In 1936, a complete instrument of 9 bells was installed with bells made by Meneely/Troy (0 bells remain from that work.) Auxiliary mechanisms: E12 Tower details not available Year of latest technical information source is 1970
This page was built from the database on 24-Jul-15 based on textual data last updated on 2015/07/20 and on technical data last updated on 1992/01/07
Explanations of page format and keyboard range are available.
[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]
Please send comments or questions to email@example.com