Charles Baird Carillon
Marion Leroy Burton Memorial Tower Main Campus University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA LL: N 42.27944, W 83.73857
>Dr. Tiffany Ng, (C) Assistant Professor of Carillon and University Carillonist 900 Burton Memorial Tower University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1270 W: (734)764-4414 E: email@example.com - and - students, alumni, guests, etc.*Past carillonists:
1936-38 Wilmot F. Pratt 1938-71 Percival Price (d.) 1971-81 Richard Hudson Ladd (d.) 1981-87 William De Turk (C) 1987-2003 Margo Halsted (C) 2003-04 Ray I. McLellan (C) 2004-05 Joseph Daniel (C) 2005-13 Steven J. Ball (C) 2013-15 Kipp B. Cortez (C)
James Kibbie, Chair, Dept. of Organ School of Music, Theatre and Dance The University of Michigan 1100 Baits Drive #2102 Ann Arbor, MI 48109 T: (734)764-1591 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mon-Fri 1200-1230; tower open to public 1200-1245; summer series mid-June thru July, 7pm Monday (guests), alternating weeks between here and the Lurie Carillon.
1966 expansion was 2 trebles borrowed from Cranbrook's disused duplicates, cast in 1928. 1974 work replaced #31-53,54-55, which were put into storage, and cast #56-68 but did not install them. 1976 console changed transposition, and had space for a half octave of those trebles, but they were never installed. Three practice consoles: original Taylor (renovated 1992), Meeks & Watson (new 1992), and Dutch standard. The 2011 restoration involved reversion to the 1936 Taylor console and treble bells, with new clappers. The 1976 console, the 3 octaves of 1974 trebles and their clappers are in storage, but the disposition of the 2 borrowed Cranbrook trebles has not been reported.
Traditional carillon of 53 bells Pitch of heaviest bell is D# in the bass octave Transposition is down 4 semitone(s) Keyboard range: G C / G C 29 There is one missing bass semitone There is an identical practice console The present keyboard was installed in 2011 by Taylor (and removed 2 bells) Prior history: In 1976, the keyboard was replaced by Taylor In 1974, some bells were replaced with bells made by Taylor (0 bells remain from that work.) In 1966, the instrument was enlarged to 55 bells using 2 bells cast by Taylor in 1928 (0 bells remain from that work.) In 1936, the instrument was begun with 53 bells made by Taylor No auxiliary mechanisms known Tower details not available Year of latest technical information source is 2013
This page was built from the database on 4-Oct-15 based on textual data last updated on 2015/10/03 and on technical data last updated on 2014/08/06
Explanations of page format and keyboard range are available.
[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]
Please send comments or questions to email@example.com