The Cornell Chimes
McGraw Tower Uris Library (formerly Main Library) Cornell University Arts Quad / Central Campus (between Central Avenue and Tower Road) Ithaca, New York, USA LL: N 42.44758, W 76.48512*Former Location (1872-1891):
McGraw Hall tower*Former Location (1868-1872):
Cornell Chimesmasters (A) 201 Robert Purcell Community Center Cornell University Ithaca, NY 14853-2801 T: (607)255-5350 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Marisa Piliero LaFalce, Chimes Coordinator B07 Day Hall T: (607)255-2373 E: email@example.com - or - Cornell University Information and Referral Center Tang Welcome Center Ithaca, NY 14853-2801 T: (607)254-4636
Weekdays 0745, 1310, 1800; Sat-Sun 1010, 1200, 1800; each for 15 min.; all during school term. Irregular out of term; see online calendar (www.chimes.cornell.edu) for these and many special occasions. Tower open to visitors 10 minutes before each concert.
The bell added in 1869 is the clock (or hour) bell. It and the largest of the original 9 bells were not recast in 1908. In the 1982 work, Paccard added 1 treble and replaced 1 (D#); playing clavier then had the first 17 notes duplicated between manual and pedal; practice clavier had 18 notes, duplicating the arrangement of the keyboard installed in 1970. Total renovation of tower and chime in 1998-99: Meeks & Watson replaced both Paccards and added G# treble (all cast by M&W to Meneely profile), retuned 17 assorted Meneelys, added a recycled Meneely bass D# (keyboard pitch); and supplied new frame, keyboards and transmission. The oldest, largest and most regularly played chime on any American campus.
Traditional chime (chimestand) of 21 bells Pitch of heaviest bell is C# in the middle octave Transposition is up 1 semitone(s) Keyboard range: C A / C A There is one missing bass semitone There is an identical practice console The instrument was enlarged in 1999 with 3 bells made by Meeks,Watson Prior history: In 1982, the instrument was enlarged to 19 bells by Paccard (0 bells remain from that work.) In 1970, the keyboard was replaced by an unknown maker In 1939, the instrument was enlarged to 18 bells by Meneely/Wvlt (1 bells were added in and/or remain from that work.) In 1928, the instrument was enlarged to 16 bells by Meneely/Wvlt (2 bells were added in and/or remain from that work.) In 1908, the instrument was enlarged to 14 bells by Meneely/Wvlt (12 bells were added in and/or remain from that work.) In 1869, the instrument was enlarged to 10 bells by Meneely/Wvlt (1 bells were added in and/or remain from that work.) In 1868, the instrument was begun with 9 bells by Meneely/Wvlt (1 bells remain from that work.) No auxiliary mechanisms known Tower details not available Year of latest technical information source is 2005
This page was built from the database on 5-Nov-21 based on textual data last updated on 2021/10/12 and on technical data last updated on 2007/11/01
Explanations of page format and keyboard range are available.
[TowerBells Home Page] [Site data top page] [Credits and Disclaimers] [Feedback]
Please send comments or questions about this page to firstname.lastname@example.org.